Luton Clinical Commissioning Group

NHS Luton Clinical Commissioning Group

Home  »  Health Services in Luton  »  Is A&E for my mini me?

Is A&E for my mini me?


Medical help for child illness

When a child gets sick it can be very a very worrying time. However, your health visitor, practice nurse, nurse practitioner, GP and pharmacist can all give you advice on how to treat your child's illness. As well as your GP, some health visitors, nurses and pharmacists can also diagnose illness and prescribe medicines for your child. Find an NHS service here.

If your child is ill you can try your local pharmacy first. They will tell you if your child needs to see a GP. If your child has signs of serious illness contact your GP directly or take them straight to the A&E department of your local hospital.

Most GP surgeries are very supportive towards parents of small children. Some will fit babies into surgeries without an appointment or see them at the beginning of surgery hours. Many GPs will also give advice over the phone. If you are an unregistered patient or need out of hours medical attention always call NHS111.

If you find it difficult to contact your doctor or get to the surgery you can call NHS 111 for medical advice, 24 hours a day.

Children's Accidents 

Need advice on dealing with children's accidents?
How to spot a serious illness 
It can be difficult to tell when a baby or toddler is seriously ill, but the main thing is to trust your instincts. 
Advice on Common Ailments  

Follow the link for Advice Sheets on the common ailments that affect children's health. 

The 'Is A&E for my mini me?' campaign. 

To help promote the alternatives to A & E when little ones are unwell, we are looking for local stars to join our ‘mini me’ campaign, send us a picture of you with your ‘mini me’ and you could feature in our campaign. Pictures can be of parents, grandparents or carers with their ‘mini me’ perhaps dressed in a similar clothes or just a fun family photo.

Just email your photo to including your contact details.


Site design and maintenance by CRB Associates